Friday 14 August 2009

Beijing

I have to think hard about this one, while it has been two weeks since my last story. I could not post anything before, because Blogspot and Facebook are on one of China's infamous black lists.


After getting back to UB, I walked around in the city for a bit and made my last tours around town. Luckily survived the streets again and paid 5 cents to check my weight with one of the people with a scale on the side of the street, no changes there.

The day to depart for Beijing was coming up. I felt a bit lazy and decided to take a taxi to the station. Better be save then sorry, (haven't really been living up to that one). I found a taxi at the end of the street and had to smile when I opened his door. This one I met before, when I took the taxi to the bus stop, when going to Kharkorin, I had to pick up my train ticket first. This had caused some confusion, so I had tipped the driver 1,000T at the first stop. When arriving at the bus station I had to give him another 5,000T, what we agreed upon. I only had 10,000T and he didn't feel like giving me any change, because he wanted me to pay for the way back as well... That would be a first. After some discussion, I managed to get my 10,000T back, bought a bottle of water and gave him 5,000T. He wasn't really happy and with the use of my dictionary we had a lively discussing about this. I didn't feel like giving in and giving him any ct., T or pence more and walked away, to my bus. So it was a weird surprise to meet him again. I asked him his rate; 5,000T, offered; 1,000T (one way), which he refused. Walked to the next driver he asked for 2,000T and I was happy to pay.

When arriving at the train I found out that I was once again stuck between Dutch people and on top of that had two Belgian in my coupe. (This is what you get when you wait to long with posting your stories, Irkutsk - UB).

Even though I was stuck again between the Dutchies, with two of them in my coupe and a French guy. As well, I met another Dutch guy, I had met waiting in line in front of the Russian embassy in the Hague. His and his fathers 'roommates' where a Danish couple I met a few days ago out in Tsetserleg. -What are the odds...-

At the end I was hanging out with some crazy French, showing up with salmon caviar and vodka. So I pulled a bottle of vodka out of my bag as well, a nice one with peppers inside of it. We where joined by some of the other Dutch around and where having vodka in the no man's land between Mongolia and China. In China, among other forms, we had to fill-in a declaration of health and they put down our temperature, which ranged between 34.5 and 35.2. We crossed the boarder and now I know Chinese are very cold-blooded..

When getting to Beijing I figured out how to take the metro to my hostel. Before getting into the metro station they scan your bags, safety is a priority. I think this was the best check I had for my luggage since I left Holland.

The next day my elder brother (Erik) would arrive with a mutual friend (Koen), they just came back from Shanghai. After some confusion about when, where and if we would meet (I misread some text messages), we met in front of the famous bird's nest. During some unplanned showers we got back to the hostel and I gave my friend (Angela), living in Beijing, a call. This was already somewhere in the evening and Erik and Koen where cleaning-up upstairs and I was showing Angela where I was staying. She had brought a bunch of candy a metro card and a simcard. While having a chat we heard a lot of noise in the hallway and we had a look and saw a guy with a severe bump on his head. I had met him before, a friend of my brother. He and some friends where harassed by some drunken Chinese when they wanted to take a taxi to catch their flight home. Later on the noise came back and when looking outside I saw a Chinese guy getting a serious beating by another Chinese guy (thought they where two of the three drunken Chinese), meanwhile at the other end someone was calling the police. Later on when one policeman had arrived following the fights and the Chinese trashing the place. One of them was challenging the already bumped foreigner to hit him, I didn't want another beating to happen, so decided to step in between and tried to make the Chinese guy loosen his grip. Which ended up in me wrestling the Chinese to the ground. After being jumped by another guy Erik pulled me away and send me to his room not wanting me to get involved. After half an hour of noise outside, even after more policemen had turned up. I went outside again to have a look and we where all summoned to bring out our passports, because I was a witness seeing someone getting a beating and was wearing a torn t-shirt I had to come with the police, my brother and Angela went along. We sat down in an empty room and Angela translated my side of the story. After writing down my contact information we where free to go. That was our first intended night out.

The next day we went to the Great Wall and went for a stroll to experience the greatness of the Great Wall. After getting back we met again with Angela, whom had invited us for dinner. We went to a 5 story restaurant to try the famous Beijing Duck. Which lived up to it's reputation. Next, we went for a drink and learned a Chinese drinking game. Did some bar hopping afterwards and went back to the hostel, met a bunch of people hanging out and sat there till the early morning. The day after Erik and Koen had to catch their flight home, luckily I was the only one that overslept..

After being angry with myself for not being able to greet my brother and friend in the morning, I went out to buy a train ticket. Next one up, Xi'an. Meiyou! Another day? Meiyou! Ok, Guilin first and from there try and buy a ticket to Xi'an. Just a detour of about 1,000km. The day continued with some more famous sights, Temple of Heaven, Tianamen square and the Forbidden city. Unfortunately closed by the time I got there, at least I have one more excuse to return to China some day.. Angela showed me another famous dish, the hotpot, again no complains. We ended the day with some souvenir shopping and I practised my bargaining skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment