Tuesday 14 July 2009

I survived 5 days in Moscow!

Kak dii la?

Vodka?

At the moment I’m up to my fifth day in Moscow. So far it has been a pretty impressive city. Too much going on and too little time to go everywhere. So far, I’ve been to the usual highlight, Kremlin, St. Basils Cathedral, Christ the redeemer Cathedral and others. Besides that, I’ve seen some statues of the Soviet period and the statue of Peter the great.

As well, I met with the local police forces. The story about Russia is that it is one of those countries where it is recommended to avoid being around the police. This story has been proven right. I was walking down one of the tunnels crossing the street accompanied by an American guy (Vic). We where stopped and asked for our documents, to learn about one of the local sports, getting foreigners on a mistake in their passport to give them a “fine”. The funny thing was that they only checked my passport; they might have thought I had some money to spend, because I have a business visa for Russia. On the contrary the American guy worked in Dubai to make himself a ‘decent’ living. Anyway, this evolved into the following conversation:

(11-07-2009 (Saturday)

Officer: Can we see some registration?

Me: There you go..

Officer: You’re not registered yet.

Me: I understood I had three days to do so.

Officer: Why didn’t you do so yet?

Me: I understood it is not possible to register during the weekend.

Officer: Where are you from?

Me: Utrecht, Holland

Officer: Aha Utrecht, they have a soccer team.

Me: Yes, we do. F.C. Utrecht, it is an excellent team, however, not as good as CSKA Moscow.

Officer: What?

Me: CSKA Moscow won the European league not to long ago, just like Zenit St. Petersburg; Russian soccer is really coming up.

Officer: Where are you staying?

Me: Novvy Arbat hostel.

Officer: Do you have your business cards with you?

Me: They are back in the hostel.

Officer: I need to see your business cards

Me: I can show you the business card of my contact person in Moscow.

(Handed it to him and took my passport back)

Officer: Aha, General Manager.

Me: Yes, she invited me.

Officer: Do you have money for drinks?

Me (Confused)

Officer: Vodka/beer

Me: Why?

Officer: Can you get us some drinks?

Me: Yes, I will get my friend a drink before he leaves

Officer: Can you get us some drinks?

Me: Yes, I will get my friend a drink before he leaves

Officer: Can you give us any money for drinks?

Me: Yes, I will get my friend a drink. (Meanwhile I took the business card back and walked off)

2 comments:

  1. Soooooooooo, at what time zone will you arrive after your trip? I am keeping track on my GSM. hihi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time zones, time zones? I need some sleep no matter what time zone. At the moment I am at GMT +8, that should be the time zone for the rest of my trip, from now on I'm just heading South.

    ReplyDelete